• REGISTRIEREN

mdrejhon

Anfänger

• Home Icon

Mittwoch, 5. Dezember 2012, 04:55

Zero motion blur LCD project -- in development

Hello!

Canadian hobbyist here.

I'm making a modification to an existing 120 Hz 3D computer monitor panel, turning a sample-and-hold display into an impulse-driven display. Tests have shown that many 3D 120 Hz monitors have technology that successfully erases the vast majority of pixel persistence before the end of its refresh cycle, because this is necessary for successful 3D shutter glasses. This presents a good opportunity to strobe the backlight on an already-refreshed LCD image. By using shorter strobes (e.g. 0.5 millisecond) than the phosphor persistence of a typical CRT (e.g. 1-2 millisecond), motion blur on an LCD display can be eliminated, and achieving MPRT measurement of 0.5 millisecond (PixPerAn chase test with the two squares almost touching each other, just like on CRT). At these levels, motion blur is no longer noticeable by the human eye, even at fast motion. This does make the LCD flicker like a CRT, but at 120Hz, the flicker is not objectionable. And you can turn off the flicker when you're not playing fast-motion stuff such as 3D video games. The science is explained at http://www.scanningbacklight.com/zeromotionblur

-- It's now possible to do this as a user modification to an existing 3D 120Hz monitor, such as Asus VG236H or VG278HE, as long as it's one of those panels that can erase its pixel persistence artifacts before the end of the current refresh (pixel near final color value +/- 1% within 1/120th second at 120Hz).
-- The phosphor decay of the phosphor built into white LED's was measured to be about 0.1-0.2ms, so LED backlights can be impulse-driven more quickly than the phosphor on a CRT.
-- The problem is you need a really huge, big wattage of LED for the ultra-short 0.5 millisecond strobes, to prevent a dim picture.
-- I have found it requires 150 watts of LED per square feet (over $150 of LED per square feet), to equal the brightness of CRT phosphor during short strobes, so you need 250 watts of LED in a 24" display to successfully achieve the zero-motion-blur LCD. Thankfully, LED ribbons have fallen greatly in cost, and I've posted pictures of my LED ribbon on my blog;

I've posted my ongoing progress at my BlurBusters Blog's main page, including photos of the LED's for the super-charged backlight.
I've posted a FAQ about the zero-motion blur LCD at http://www.scanningbacklight.com/faq

Mark Rejhon
The BlurBusters Blog
http://www.scanningbacklight.com
  • Zum Seitenanfang

mdrejhon

Anfänger

• Home Icon

Montag, 25. Februar 2013, 20:31

GOOD NEWS!

Zero motion blur LCD's are already here today!!

PixPerAn readability test score of 30!

There are some LCD displays with a special strobe backlight mode, that results in a
See this prad.de thread for more information.
  • Zum Seitenanfang

LG BUSINESS MONITORE
(Anzeige) In der neuen LG Business Area stellen wir die besten Business Displays aus dem Hause LG vor. Denn wer ermüdungsfrei und ergonomisch arbeiten will, benötigt auch das richtige Arbeitsgerät. Neben Testberichten finden Sie auch lesenswerte Artikel zu den Themen "Der ergonomische Arbeitsplatz", "Höhere Produktivität durch 21:9 Monitore" und vieles mehr. Hier weiterlesen!
Anzeigen
© 2002 - 2017 PRAD ProAdviser GmbH & Co. KG | Alle Rechte vorbehalten! | Impressum | Datenschutzerklärung
Ausgewiesene Warenzeichen und Markennamen gehören ihren jeweiligen Eigentümern.
PRAD übernimmt keine Haftung für den Inhalt verlinkter externer Internetseiten!
Hinweis: Unsere Internetseite wird mit aktiviertem Adblocker teilweise nicht korrekt angezeigt!