Samsung 971p really s-pva panel ?

• ehm... I don't want "moderate" you, but... this is the news section. ;)

Samsung don't have any 19'' S-PVA under production.
    The LTM190E4 is a "simple" PVA panel.

Originally posted by miomao
    ehm... I don't want "moderate" you, but... this is the news section. ;)

Samsung don't have any 19'' S-PVA under production.
    The LTM190E4 is a "simple" PVA panel.

Are you sure ? but on samsung official site it looks s-pva panel ;

• It has s-pva. If you compare this monitor with 970, you can see truly difference. 971p displays better gradients (little banding is presence but if you set up contrast and brightness right, you can's see any bandings) with no dithering, but also has a slower RT which is not 6ms as it says in declaration. 971p is excellent monitor but I think it could have better ergonomy (swiveling, mounting on the wall etc.) I prefer it in white glossy color.

Originally posted by artifex
    It has s-pva. If you compare this monitor with 970, you can see truly difference. 971p displays better gradients (little banding is presence but if you set up contrast and brightness right, you can's see any bandings) with no dithering, but also has a slower RT which is not 6ms as it says in declaration. 971p is excellent monitor but I think it could have better ergonomy (swiveling, mounting on the wall etc.) I prefer it in white glossy color.

thanks , Are you sure %100 ? is it really s-pva panel ? because miomao says pva panel , I am confused 8o

• I contacted few Samsung distributers here in Croatia and one from Serbia. They all said it has true 8bit s-pva panel. I also contacted Samsung support and they said the same. I'm 100% sure it's 8bit panel with RT about 8-12ms, and the viewing angle is also excellent so try to conclude which kind of panel it has! I had 970, sold it, and bought 971p few days ago. Our Croatian distributer gave me 3 years warranty on every pixel defect (including death and bright pixels) which I liked also very much!

Originally posted by artifex
    I contacted few Samsung distributers here in Croatia and one from Serbia. They all said it has true 8bit s-pva panel. I also contacted Samsung support and they said the same. I'm 100% sure it's 8bit panel with RT about 8-12ms, and the viewing angle is also excellent so try to conclude which kind of panel it has! I had 970, sold it, and bought 971p few days ago. Our Croatian distributer gave me 3 years warranty on every pixel defect (including death and bright pixels) which I liked also very much!

thank you so much artifex, I have one question for you , how is 971p in games ? you said RT is 8 -12 ms , Have you ever seen ghosting in games ?

• I don't play games. Actually, I don't have any installed so I can't tell you that, but I watch movies and didn't notice any ghosting. Samsung has great overdrive so I'm pretty sure you won't see any ghosting in the games, too.

• I bought the 971P as I thought it would be better than the 970P (which have some trouble with the stand). Are you sure the specs are wrong on the speed.l It says 6ms. For games I see no ghosting at all EXCEPT for RED color, where the ghosting is terrible (very disappointing). My 5 year old Dell is no worse there :(

Also I can't get the MagicTune software to start. Just chrashes with a GPF :(

• UH!
    Sorry, I've missed this thread... :)

Ok, Samsung says 971P have a S-PVA panel (eigth domain pixel structure)...
    But the only Samsung 19'' VA panel under production is the LTM190E4.
    All other 19'' panels are with TN technology.

The funny thing is that "all" the LTM190E4 (retouched) specs are "identical" to SyncMaster 971P specs.
    So, Samsung have a 19'' S-PVA panel with the same LTM190E4 specs, surely due to poor marketing... ;)
    ...and where is this panel??
    Where is the LTM190E4-V2/LTM190E5/...(?) datasheet?
    ?(

About the response time...
    Remember this is a VA+overdrive and not a TN.
    So, your old LCD can perform something better in response time area and worse in all other things.

• In this link 971p doesn't use dithering method but 970p use dithering..

bottom of the page;

What about 971P? Does it use spatial (i.e. standing, not temporal, not FRC) dithering too?
    Certainly not. I got photos from two 971P-s that were bought at the end of 2006 in Hungary, and neither did this kind of dithering. But of course, you never know when do they change it, or if they sell this model with different parameters somewhere...

• So, there are two possible explanations...

1 - There is an "undocumented" 19 inch PVA panel with true 8-bit colors.

2 - The spatial dithering is not implemented in the panel and any monitor manufacturer can decide if use it or not.

Anyway, it's a very strange issue.

P.S.
    After some Googling...
    Go to and search for ltm190e4.
    Some results are:
    LTM190E4-L02 (the 970P panel?)
    LTM190E4-L02-E
    LTM190E4-L02-P
    LTM190E4-L02-W
    LTM190E4-L21
    LTM190E4-L03
    LTM190E4-L03-A
    LTM190E4-L03-Q
    LTM190E4-L31

A monitor with the "LTM190E4" panel is like an Easter Egg.
    ;)

• If isn't enough, there is also an LTM190E4-L32.

This is a Samsung 971P polish review where they says it use 6-bit+dithering:

I suppose it from the poltran.com automatic translation:

Quality of presented color is very high by monitor. Palette of paint presented covers whole range on screen TrueColor or on each channel 8 -bits RGB. Exact installation indicate that truth that matrix works on 6 -bits internally only but it gets additional tints behind assistance of method blending of approximated indirect color ( ) diferingu. However, it is necessary to underline, that operation of match is perfect blending color and find such tints heavily, in order to he (its; his; it) operation give notice (remark), it is possible to see characteristic on easily only tint podkoloryzowanych szaro[ci kaszk, however, it has not managed to notice (to remark) characteristic tremor of color me, it was possible to observe which (who) in monitor sometimes + 193P.

With a dozen LTM190E4 versions, it would be interesting to found some extra datasheet...

Merry Christmas!