Eye strain free monitor?

• Hi! I'm currently on SyncMaster 750ST CRT which have maximum refresh rate 85 for 1024x768.
    Since I spend a lot of time working on PC (sometimes 10 or more hours per day) I thought about switching to LCD but it appears that some people have eye problems with them too.

I'd be appreciate to hear feedback about particular models of monitors and how do they affect your eye in good or bad way.

PS Currently I have these monitors on my list so if anyone could comment on them that would be really helpful:
    Philips 190P7ES
    Dell 1907FPV(b)
    Samsung 970P
    Samsung 971P
    NEC 1970NX
    ViewSonic VP930

• Official Post

The most reason for eye problems is the monitors are adjusted to bright. A LCD is much more brighter than a CRT. And if you work at night in a dark room, you need ambient light.

To recommend a monitor is not the problem, but I need some information about the applications. And a prize limit.

• Thanks for answer, Andi! I'll be glad if you could help me a bit, as I never had used LCDs long enough to feel is it suits me or not.

The most reason for eye problems is the monitors are adjusted to bright. A LCD is much more brighter than a CRT. And if you work at night in a dark room, you need ambient light.

What about brightness regulation by lamps or lcd matrix does latest put less load on eyes? Regarding ambient light I'm not using any but if switch to LCD definitely try your advice.

To recommend a monitor is not the problem, but I need some information about the applications. And a prize limit.

here is my profile:

• Most time I spend in Firefox on forums and reviewing sites for my directory and BlueFish(code editor): 80%.

• My biggest hobby is photography, I'm doing occasional retouching and distribute my photos (mostly for free, as otherwise I would by good monitor already ;) ), that's why I'd like to have acceptable color fidelity, maybe not all the time but at least to tune monitor for photo retouching when I need it: 10% (in near future I plan to do more graphic works)

• During work I'm watching recorded sitcoms from tv tuner in small window and sometimes watch films with my girlfriend: 5%

• Since I'm Linux user sometimes I'm using console and it would be nice to have good look for low resolution when display is in text mode: 4%

• I'm occasional gamer, GTA and SimCity are two games I can play when have free time, I didn't play for some months already but in future I hope to have more time for this.: 1%

Regarding price range and shops, I'm living in Ukraine and would like to deal with local shops to have warranty service easily available, although prices here are quite different e.g.
    Dell 1907FPV(b) - 300$
    Philips 190P7ES - 386$
    Samsung 971P - 461$
    and ViewSonic VP930 and NEC 1970NX are 483$

Other brands are hard to find or totally not available, except LG which I don't like because of bad experience in the past.

So originally I was looking for Dell 1907FPV(b) but can't find any information about it's color fidelity and performance.
    Philips 190P7ES meet all my expectations according to your review so as ViewSonic VP930 although Viewsonic price is a way to high for me in current moment and Philips isn't recommended in review for graphic works.

Maybe you can tell if Philips 190P7ES could be tuned to have better color fidelity when I need it or recommend some other model I overlook(I've seen in prices Acer, Belinea, HannsG, Prestigio).