I'm almost blind :)

• First of all, hello to all of you!

this is my first post on this beautiful board, i can understand German much more than i can write, so i hope if i use english it won't be a problem 8o

As you can tell from my nickname...my eyes are dry, i get some headaches too, at work i have a 21" CRT (@100Hz) and home a 19" Belinea also @ 100Hz. Basically i'm living my life next to a microwave :(

I don't want to upgrade to a TFT, i NEED to do it...i owned a 15" HP L1520 about a year ago, it was a blessing!!! I could stare into it for hours without feeling the need to get up every 1/2 hour to rest my eyes (and have a cigarette!). Beautiful image quality, whites were sharp but not hurting at all, darks were sharp and crisp.

But i happen to game a lot, especially CS (duhh). I used to play in clans, etc...but not anymore because of too much commitment. I still own pretty good, enjoying my 20-30 ms pings...

CS on the old 15" TFT was strange...i remember using fps_max 60 and vsync ON in order to get a stable picture, without tearing. Moving to a 19" CRT was a blessing for CS, but a pain for my eyes...now i am willing to sacrifice PURE gaming quality for healthier eyes. I am looking at a LCD, preferably 18" or even 19"...

18" : LG 1811B, NEC 1860 SX-BK (i think)
    19" : HP L1925 ( i get 20% discount on it) :) or the new LG 1910P or 1910B

I hope you can help me in some way to make up my mind, and many thanks in advance!!

PS - 2 questions:

1. IPS with 25ms are for SURE better than MVA/TN with 16ms?
    2. what is the difference between S-IPS and IPS? (like between the LG1710B and the LG1811B).

Thanks again!
    (how is that L1910P test coming? any time soon?)

• S-IPS with 25 or 33 ms is much better than MVA with 16ms. Why don't you take a look at the NEC 1880SX. It is the reference in the 18" class. I've got one myself and i'm very happy! CS is no problem for me with this TFT.

• Do then the LG 1811B and Nec 1860NX-BK have the same (IPS) panel? Are there any differences between the two?

somehow the LG's design is better...not so bulky as Nec's (built-in transformer).

• almost 60 views and 2 replies...cool.

why does everyone recommend the 1860NX over the 1811B, if they have the same panel type, LG has better brightness, an USB hub and 5 kilo less?

Am i missing something? :)

• The NEC quality is very good and most of the users are very contently with this display. In addition you can place the NEC up and down. This is much more important for me, as the USB-Hub. The panels might be identical!

Original von poweRT
    ...and for some users is the support more important than 5 kilo...so it's your decision. ;)

do you mean the tech.support or the monitor support (base)? :)

Prad, it would be awesome if you could compare the L1910P with the 1910B version!! sometime in the (near) future :P

And one more thing i don't fully understand: why are IPS panels w/30ms times FASTER than MVA/T+N w/16ms or 20ms, when the only advantage of IPS is the wider viewangle??? Or maybe there's more to it?

• You can read it here. But it's in german. Perhaps you'll translate this site with google.

Original von crt_pain
    And one more thing i don't fully understand: why are IPS panels w/30ms times FASTER than MVA/T+N w/16ms or 20ms, when the only advantage of IPS is the wider viewangle??? Or maybe there's more to it?

MVA Panels doesn't reach 16ms until now, TNs does.
    General difference between S-IPS and IPS: S-IPS-Panel uses dual domain LCD orientation. That improves the view angle.

• who tells you 1910P has a MVA panel ??

LG said, that there are two versions of 1910P, the one with MVA, distributet in US, an the other with S-ISP in Europe/Germany.

Wether this is true or net we will see on prads test ;oD

Best Regards Deus

Hope you could understand, my english isn't the best ;oD

Wer Rechtschreibfehler im diesem Posting findet, darfs sie behalten einrahmen und an die Wand hängen !

• Yes Deus, you are right...
    Habe heute bei LGE angerufen und die bestaetigen dass der L1910P ein IPS mit 16ms drin hat. "Weltneuheit" angeblich....i ch kann es mir auch gut vorstellen, weil LG ist selber ein grosser LCD panelhersteller. Es macht auch sinn dass wenn die eine neue technik entwickeln, es für ihre eigenen monitore verwenden, oder?

Also warten wir auf der test...

• Just a thought.

Your eyes might be drying out because your monitor is placed to high. For optimum ergonomic positioning of the monitor you should be looking slightly down when looking at the top line of the screen area.

I myself do not follow these guidelines at work (I work as a systems engineer and have a 19" CRT) and my eyes dry out - often.
    At home I have only a small 14" CRT for the time being (I'm in the market for an 18 or 19" LCD). I'm looking down when looking at the top line on the small screen - and there I have no problems - even though I spend just as many hours in front of the screen as I do at work - and sometimes even more .... hmm maybe I should get a life ;)

Another thing is lighting in the room where your monitor is located. There should always be adequate lighting around your monitor or behind it if possible. If it is all black around the monitor and there is a very bright light from the monitor - your vision will get blurred after some period of time.

This is one of the reasons (if not THE reason) why monitors with an all black frame CANNOT be certified as TCO'03 - for them to be certified as TCO03 they must be silver, grey, beige, white or similar in color.

So the reason why you had no problems with the 15" LCD you mentioned could just as well be, because it was lower so your head was tilted more forwards when looking at it.

I'm not saying that your problems won't be gone when switching to a LCD, but there can be other causes than just the flickering picture of a CRT - and they should be taken into consideration before shelling out 600-800€ on a LCD - which might not fix the real problem.

Cheers,
    Flemming