Posts by traveller

... What mostly concerns me about the BL3200PT is the following comment in the review:
    "Einen Deinterlacer scheint der Monitor nicht zu besitzen. 50 Hz konnten zwar eingestellt und auch wiedergegeben werden, aber bereits im Menü des Players konnte ein recht starkes Zittern des Bildes festgestellt werden"
    Because my (UPC) HD Cable-box delivers 1080i via HDMI only I am concerned that the BL3200PT cannot properly process it... can anyone confirm that I understood the review correctly please?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet...
    ...so I did, picked up the BL3200 and everything works perfectly, even the 1080i/50Hz source is properly reproduced :)
    Set Brightness to 50%, Gamma 1, Red 100 / Green 97 / Blue 97 and from that point, calibrated with my Spyder3Express. The results are quite satisfying.
    The matt panel coating is ok imho, perhaps a bit more transparent than my Eizo S2231W. Of course, the colors don't pop like they do on my HP x360 ultrabook's QHD glossy panel, but in return, no reflections to speak of.
    I find the ratio of QHD and 32" to be a good balance and at 0.277" dot-pitch, slightly less than the Eizo's 0.282", slight more than the outgoing BenQ FP241W @0.269".

A nice bonus is the built-in SDXC card reader which I will be using quite often (both my Sony RX100M3 and Canon 70D use the format) and a USB3.0 hub never hurts. The only downside to the monitor are the video-ports location (right side) which hardly make sense imho. The odds of working at 90° with a 32" panel is very low. Lastly, the lack of a PIP option. With that much panel real estate I could be surfing (DVI) while viewing a game on cable (HDMI). Neither of these are show-stoppers and for the price, the BL3200 is a great monitor :thumbup:

I was planning to now replace my 22" 1680x1050 Eizo with a 27" QHD monitor but I don't think I'd manage to effectively work with a 0.234" dot-pitch and I'll most likely replace it with a 0.27" 24" 1920x1200 monitor instead.

Hallo,

leider ist Deutsch nicht meine muttersprache... so I have to stay in English ^^

Thank you for your review of the PB328Q! Although my reasons vary slightly from yours (and the others that provided feedback in this thread), I am also interested in a 32" 2K (2560x1440). Asus was not on my radar as I was relying on PRAD's reviews:
    Samsung's S32D850T and BenQ's BL3200PT

In my opinion the panels are not the same and although from the same type (VA), the BenQ (and recently, the Philips BDM3270QP) both use an AU Optronics AMVA 10-bit panel. Although I cannot honestly tell you the difference, I always tend to lean towards newer technology, hoping of course for better results. I cannot find any specific info on either the Asus or Samsung panels, although most likely Samsung uses it's own "in-house" panel for the S32D850T.

I currently have a BenQ - it's been serving me well for the past eight(!) years, so I'm not concerned about any bad reputation the brand may have - my own experience has been rather positive. Is it built as well as my Eizo? No... but then again, it wasn't priced to be... ;)

I'm leaning towards the BL3200PT because of the panel and because the S32D850T incorporates a PWM back-lighting solution which I'd just assume avoid. The only thing stopping me from buying the BL3200PT is a possible deinterlacing issue* and the very recent discovery of your review of the PB328Q as well as the latest 32" QHD entry from Philips... .

Can anyone that's contributed to this thread state from own experience that one's better than the other and why? Unfortunately I have yet to see any in real life so I cannot comment on the panel coating and if one's more problematic than the other. I can only clarify my use of the monitor:

• FHD 1080p (BluRay) movies as well as other video formats incl 1080P@60Hz via PC (DL-DVI)
    • PC Gaming @60Hz via DL-DVI (more than enough for my single-player only involvement)
    • Cable TV HD "set-top" box 1080i via HDMI

FWIW, All serious work (Office, Photoshop, Internet ...) gets done on another platform using my Eizo.

~~~

Any and all feedback appreciated - Auch auf Deutsch :thumbup:

*My deinterlacing concerns with the BL3200PT is based on PRAD's own review and the following comment:
    "Einen Deinterlacer scheint der Monitor nicht zu besitzen. 50 Hz konnten zwar eingestellt und auch wiedergegeben werden, aber bereits im Menü des Players konnte ein recht starkes Zittern des Bildes festgestellt werden."
    And as you may have read, I've every intention of using my monitor as a part-time HDTV... so I am not sure how serious this issue is. My CISCO set-top allows me to select from Auto / 1080i / 720P (50Hz is assumed, as I reside in the EU.. Clearly I'd prefer a monitor with a HQ deinterlacer, but worse case I believe the set-top will do the deinterlacing before sending the HDMI stream to the monitor if I select "1080i".

Hallo :)

Leider ist Deutsch nicht meine Muttersprache also ich muss weiter auf Englisch... (sorry :whistling: )

I'm looking to replace my outdated 24" BenQ FP241W 1920x1200 P-MVA. It has served me well as my Multimedia monitor. It had two main functions - Video and [single-player] gaming via DVI (Nvidia GTX 660) and as output via HDMI for my HD cable box (1080i). Because I want to take advantage of 2K (2560x1440) resolution when I occasionally work with Office / Browsers but to avoid eye strain, I prefer to go with 32" over the 27" standard for 2K.

Given the above, there are only a few serious candidates, two of which were reviewed here @PRAD:

BenQ BL3200PT

Samsung S32D850T

I'm leaning towards the BL3200PT mainly because of

• the AU Optronics AMVA* 10-bit panel
    • Flicker-free backlight
    • the matt-black frame
    • Color temperature & gamma options (albeit no classic 6500K / 2.2)
    • Flexibility with display output (ratio, HDMI signal level, ...)
    • Because I have a HW calibration tool (Spyder3Express) I am less concerned about the poor stock non-calibrated results

HOWEVER...
    What mostly concerns me about the BL3200PT is the following comment in the review:
    "Einen Deinterlacer scheint der Monitor nicht zu besitzen. 50 Hz konnten zwar eingestellt und auch wiedergegeben werden, aber bereits im Menü des Players konnte ein recht starkes Zittern des Bildes festgestellt werden"

Because my (UPC) HD Cable-box delivers 1080i via HDMI only I am concerned that the BL3200PT cannot properly process it... can anyone confirm that I understood the review correctly please?

Now regarding Samsung's S32D850T, although the review was quite favorable ("Sehr Gut", sogar...) there's a few areas of serious concern imho:

"Lediglich unterhalb von 135 cd/m² setzt das PWM-Verfahren (Pulsweitenmodulation) ein und das Hintergrundlicht wird gepulst."
    I am not sure if I am affected by PWM but I'd just assume avoid it, particularly since PWM is on it's way out anyway... so I was quite surprised to read this about the monitor's outdated backlighting technology... :S

"Grafiker werden eine verbindliche Einstellung der Farbtemperatur und des Gammawerts vermissen. Mit einer Kalibration ist der S32D850T aber auch gut für farbverbindliches Arbeiten geeignet. Dabei deckt er den sRGB-Farbraum vollständig zu 100 % ab."
    Yes, good to know it can be corrected with HQ profiling, but a real shame that a "Sehr Gut" monitor cannot be adjusted by hand... .

Einen klassischen sRGB-Modus besitzt der Monitor nicht. Aus diesem Grund wurde die Werkseinstellung auch zur Beurteilung der Farbwerte herangezogen. Die vordefinierten Modi, welche den Weißpunktbestimmen, sind nicht sonderlich gelungen: Warm 1 (5328K), Normal (7244K) und Kalt 1 (9302K)."
    Again, quite upsetting for a "Sehr Gut" monitor... .

(M)VA Panel... tried and true technology, but a bit vanilla by today's standards... . :S

~~~

Despite all of the above, I'd have to go with the S32D850T should my fears be realized - that the BL3200PT cannot properly render 1080i (interlaced) media. So I would be most grateful if anyone could help me determine if the statement from the PRAD review is going to be a show-stopper in terms of 1080i rendering, thanks kindly :D

p.s. By default, I do care somewhat about color and grey-scale accuracy as my hobby is photography. However, I do that kind of work with my Eizo S2231W on another machine.

Yes you're right and that's known as ghosting. I've never associated a "color" to it but if I had to, green is good.

Ghosting is usually a by-product of low refresh-rates (of all LCDs excluding modern <4ms TN panels) but the "quality" of the ghosting effects may indeed be related to a panel's overdrive implementation.

I find that BeHardware's reviews are more critical of such traits as PRAD is so you can see more info on overdrive & ghosting over there. Unfortunately they haven't reviewed the S2231W...

Originally posted by miomao
    ...but in this forum I've found any sort of complaints...
    - rainbow effect (horizontal color issue)
    - X effect (backlight issue)
    - boring noise (inverter issue)

Ciao,

first off, I can't seem to buy anything today without it having one issue or another and so I can't say that my S2231W was any exception. Compared to my new XPS M1330 Notebook though, it's relatively problem-free :p

I'm not thrilled about my overly-bright "X" but the fact is that I can't see it when I have any kind of background that has at least 20% in any non-black color (which, you have to admit, should be about 99% of the time...).

As for color rendition, I'm absolutely thrilled with my S2231W and I have no rainbow effect (fortunately) and I am working (now) with proofing prints from an aRGB working color space, all of which is only possible with a wide-gamut monitor.

I haven't noticed any [inverter] noise meaning it's not audible (but I'm not 18 either...) so that's not an issue either.

I did discover something new, though: if you use a lite working desk (mine is an aluminum frame with a glass sheet) then any external vibration (such a printer on the same desk) will make the S2231W shake like one of those dogs you see in the back of a car... 8o

I'm speaking of the ezyUp base and I don't know if the other base has the same problem (but I imagine it doesn't).

None the less, I don't regret my purchase and overall, I am very pleased with the S2231W! Please don't forget to factor in the price too, when making critical comments because simply put, ~550 EUR is quite below-par when it comes to pro monitors, particularly Eizos...

Original von jb909
    I'm looking for something, anything(!) at a small-ish size that's s-ips; I too have been suprised to find that many of the Eizos are pva.

Do you have any s-ips reccomendations?

Hi, sorry but I didn't catch your post earlier. Assuming you're still in the market, NEC's MultiSync 20WGX²Pro is a very popular panel, particularly because it has an impressive reaction time for an IPS...!

However... it's a glossy panel... . Now I'm typing this post on my Dell XPS M1330 which uses a 13" Toshiba LED-backlit panel which also has a glossy finish and as long as you position it appropriately (in relation to the room's lighting), the glare is non-existant.

But that's about the only one I can think of in the price range... next up, the "ultimate" IPS will certainly be NEC's LCD2690WUXi, but that's in a completely different price range (as well as being a wide-gamut monitor like S2231W...).

Good luck in any event and plz let us know what you finally end up with :)

Original von jb909
    You have me completely confused, ... Are you saying that the S2231w isn't a 'normal' monitor? All I want is a monitor which doesn't change its dark points and light points depending how high I sit!

It's a "wide-gamut" monitor and as such, is more suited to working with aRGB.

the benefit for such a monitor is when you work in an aRGB space (in Photoshop, for example), you are one step closer to "seeing" what you will eventually print in the CMYK color space.

Working with sRGB is also not a problem, as long as you work inside of a color-aware application such as Photoshop. What I do is work in an aRGB space, proof for CMYK printing and conversely, convert the final version to sRGB for publication on the Internet.

If you rarely print your work but strictly work towards publication on the internet, then I would say that you have no need for a wide-gamut monitor and are better off going for an sRGB native panel.

Furthermore, if your primary goal is stable colors from different viewing angles, you should probably go with an S-IPS panel (the S2231W and most Eizos, for that matter, being S-PVA panels).

Original von Chrisz
    Habe gerade etwas gelesen...

Das mit der Höhenverstellung habe ich beim S2231 ganz genau so empfunden...

Hi Chris,

gratuliere - scheint das Du bist ziemlich zufrieden mit deine S2431W :)

Wegen die Zitat: bei meine S2231W mit ezUp base ist die Hoehenverstellung kaum problem, aber mit schwenkbar - rueckwaerts ist es sehr fest... go figure... ?(

p.s. sorry about killing your language... :O what I wanted to say is that the monitor slides "as smooth as silk" in every direction except when tilting it backwards...

Originally posted by colore
    laptop monitors achieve such high resolution and desktop monitors cannot achieve it?

Hi,

to be honest, I can't really answer your question but just so you know someone read your post, I'll answer your question with question (lol / :rolleyes: :(

How much rez do you need?

I have a 24" 1920x1200 (dot pitch* of 0.269), a 1680x1050 22" (~0.282) and a 1280x800 13.3" (0.224) . From the three, the 24" looks perfect to me. The text on the 22", subjectively speaking, looks a little larger than usual and on the 13.3", it's quite small (boarderline - err, for a middle-aged person like me :tongue: ).

But, assuming you have eyes like a hawk, then get yourself the new Lenovo 22" that sports 1920x1200 (& a dot pitch of 0.247) - If you want even a higher ppi then that then you're asking a bit too much from your eyes... ;)

*I looked up the dot pitch of my "old faithful" CRT, a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 (HM903DT) and it was spec'ed @0.25-0.27.

Originally posted by DerSteffen
    Ja so sehe ich dass auch. Banding sind Sprünge in eigentlich sanften Übergängen.

Na ja, jetz habe ich das gerade gefunden:

Gradation vs. Banding

K.A. mehr, lol ;)

Die Messungen die du in Paintshop machst entsprechend nicht der Darstellung auf deinem Display.

Ja, das ist eben logisch, trotzdem, ich frage mich wie so zeigt Photoshop 7 werten das sind nich ganz grau... ?(

Den Gammawert kannst du mit der Freeware ArgyllCMS bestimmen

Danke fuer den tip - I'll give it a shot :)

EDIT: Hmm, it's a bit much to suggest that one makes use of a command-line utility which requires, among other things:

"If you currently have applications other than Argyll accessing your USB connected instrument, then you have a choice to make. You can replace the existing USB drivers used on that device with the ones provided with Argyll, using the MSWindows device manager to "update drivers" for that device, selecting the .inf file provided with Argyll. This will almost certainly mean that your existing applications cannot access the instrument anymore (Blame Microsoft for not anticipating that there might be more than one driver for a USB device!).

The alternative is to go to the libusb-win32 web site, and download and then install the "filter drivers", - see <>. This may then let you access the device using Argyll, without disabling access by existing applications."

- just to determine my Monitor's native Gamma value... 8o

What I can estimate is how far off the calibration is from the Spyder2Express fixed target of 2.2 by using PerPixAn's gamma test. What I can't tell is what Gamma value Eizo set at the factory...

Originally posted by thomo
    basically gradation is best when gamma of working space and display are the same ... above all working with 16bit files there will be no visible differences ... create a greyscale in the display profile in 16bit...

Thx for the feedback, Thomo! Ich verstehe viel auf Deutsch aber mit diese thread, bin ich leider nicht ganz dabei... :P

I'm still working with Pshop 7 and I cannot work with gradiants in 16-bit mode :(

a few questions though for you and the other "thread members":

1. I define "banding" as any visible, non-smooth transition from white to black, no matter how thick or thin the banding may be (everything from a thick band to a very thin line). Is this the general concensus among the rest of you?

2. I used pshop to verify the RGB values of the gradiant and found that on all of my PCs, not every pixel was a perfect grey, with many pixels having one color differ by "one" (i.e., 90,91,90 or 206,206,205). furthermore, a very light color cast (Farbstich) can be seen on the wide-gamut Eizo. It's so light that I didn't notice it at first, but some of the "bands" have a color cast... anyone else with a wide-gamut notice this?

3. Last but not least, how does one determine a monitor's native gamma value? I just assumed that my panels are 2.2 and I have no easy way of checking because my Spyder2Express calibrates to 2.2 by default... .

p.s. Chris - fwiw (for what it's worth), the 13" 1280x800 glossy TN panel on my Dell XPS M1330 Notebook shows the smoothest gradiation against both FP241W and S2231W panels. I would even go so far as to say that there is no visible banding (when viewed in IE7) which makes me think that it may be panel-technology related. Because many TN panels work in 6-bit modes, I find it even more surprising to see such a smooth gradient... ?(

Originally posted by thomo
    Display: Gamma 2.2 -> greyscale sRGB -> banding.

If that's so, what combination of gamma and/or colorspace would produce the smoothest gradiation?

Chris: Same "banding" issues with my BenQ FP241W which is a standard gamut monitor so I have no reason to believe that Eizo, or more specifically, Eizo's wide-gamut monitors are unique to this banding phenomena...

Originally posted by DerSteffen
    Ich kriege allerdings beim besten Willen keinen stufenlosen Grauverlauf hin.

Btw, the OP's "primary" intent was not to track greyscale, but to check if there is any coloration issues:

p.s. You can also "create" the very same image yourself using Pshop, creating a new RGB image with a white background (1200x1200 for example) and using gradiants (Shift+g). Drag the cursor from the top-left corner to the bottom right holding the "shift" key so that you draw a straight diagonal line.

This jpg does not have an embedded profile.

When viewed:

S2231W + IE6 = smooth gradiation (but not 100% perfect)
    S2231W + Firefox 3b4 = visible banding (similar to the OPs)
    Pshop aRGB colorspace + aRGB "working" profile = same as IE6 above
    Pshop sRGB colorspace + sRGB "working" profile = banding

BenQ FP241W + IE6 = "light" banding (very thin strips)
    BenQ FP241W + Firefox 3b4 = visible banding (very thin strips)

Maybe this grey-level "graph" looks better on CRTs but looks just as good (or bad) on your S2431W as on my S2213W and FP241W...

p.s. The calibration is so important that with FireFox 3b4, I can see all the numbers on this test pattern:

...and with IE6 I can't see the black "1" & "2"... 8o

Originally posted by Bowser
    LCD Color Corrector LCDcc Soll Farbmanagement in nicht gemanagter Software bieten, soll angeblich mit allen Programmen laufen.

Gratuliere, es funktioniert tatsaechlich fuer manche Anwendungen :)

Ich habe Office Anwendungen noch nicht ausprobiert, aber beim IE es ist [fast*] perfekt! Leider beim Windows Explorer (Thumbnail view) und Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (also Windows "Preview") geht es leider nicht... .
    *Some web colors are a bit off, but this could be due to my Spyder Profile, hard to say...

Furthermore, es kann passieren das manche Anwendungen bekommt "double-profiling syndrome" - was passiert beim Firefox (aber nicht mit Pshop, zum gluck)!

Last but not least, mann kann es schnell ausschalten und wieder einschalten mit der Task manager icon :D

Also, in meine meinung, doch ein schritt weiter wenn nicht der voll loesung.

Thanks for the great find, Bowser :D