- Contrast Ratio 400:1
    - Viewing Angle: 176° horizontal, 176° vertikal
    - Response Time: 25ms
    - height-adjustable
    - a spinning plate
    - Consumption: 38W
    - Weight: 8 kg

Packing:

The TFT was delivered in the original packing by NEC. The packing was first-class with styrofoam on both ends and a polystyrene foil covering the display to protect it.

Content:

- The TFT with stand
    - power cable
    - Analog VGA cable
    - instruction manual
    - driver CD (excluding)

Optics:

Optics could be descibed as “conservative”. But this doesn’t mean that it does not look good. I decided to take the black version. The TFT stand and the TFT itself are both black with the exeption of the front frame being dull silver. Looks absolutely noble! When I first saw some photos of the display I thought it wouldn’t be anything for me; but on them it doesn’t even look a quarter as good as in reality.

Processing:

Very solid. Height-adjusting’s very easy as well as adjusting the tilt angle. Seems like NEC thought of everything (e.g. cable cover which I especially like). Appearences are deceptive as the control buttons show. They just don’t fit to the processing of the 1960nxi also if the basic idea ain’t that bad. The buttons have been attached to the outside frame and are not perceptible in some distance. I’d describe the buttons as shaky. Lettering’s only engraved in the black buttons which makes them difficult to read. So far, I have a different understanding of high-quality. The Designers seem to have had a nap during that period of processing. But I can get over that. There’s still NaviSet. The TFT works absolutely noiseless. Only if I press my ear at the back of the TFT I can hear a very quiet whistle which can’t be heard at a distance of more than 5 cm.

Picture:

The only thing I can say is WOW. My eyes are really being pampered. Very sharp picture, the colors are just fab. The type size is very comfortable and the illumination of the panel’s above reproach. I can confirm the weeknesses of the representation of black color also if not being as bad as to be read in some reviews. It’s a fact that a MVA/PVA panel’s logically better in this point. But you can live with that one. Unfortunately, I found two subpixels to be dead: one at the right buttom of the display which flashes red when having white background or else flashing black. Another one is centered at the buttom always being black. But these defects are so little that you almost don’t perceive ’em. Maybe I’m just not sensitive enough (fortunately). Next comes the crystal-effect which is indeed there but only very weak and thus not disturbing at all. The “finger-test“ shows up some blurring and no seperation of the fingers as to be expected on a CRT. Interpolation is very good. If I just think about my 15“ and my laptop. Nevertheless I recommend the native resolution for Windows. With that it looks considerable better. But in games you can hardly see any difference.

Suitability in Games:

Quake III: No ghosting noticeable. If you have a close look you might notice the TFT to be blurred when moving but when concentrating on the game there’s no difference between this TFT and a CRT.

Unreal II: Same as Quake III. No ghosting, little blurred when moving.

Star Trek Bridge Commander: No ghosting and no blur noticeable when moving

Star Trek Armada II and other strategy games: Same as with Bridge Commander: no ghosting and no blur when moving.

In my opinion, the 1960NXi is 100% suitable for games. Never before did I perceive games that detailed. Everything’s really fab.

DVD’s:

Just perfect. Here the TFT cuts a fine figure. The colors are terrific and the black value is also ok.

Office:

Same as with DVD. Recommendable without stint. But for users using a TFT for Office apllications only a TFT with a MVA/PVA panel would be rather fitting as color reproduction is a bit better with these.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a translation so if u got questions don't hesitate to contact/ask Totamec or me

yEeHaW

MVA/PVA panel would be rather fitting as color reproduction is a bit better with these

Expensive color calibrated monitors like Eizo CG series (Color Graphic) have only IPS panels.
    The same for LaCie and Barco.

I think is better to say that the 1960NXi panel (LG.Philips LM190E01?) don't have great colors.
    Also if the new LaCie Photon19vision has the same panel.

...or maybe this panel render less vivid but more natural colors.
    ;)

• As I read, 1960NXi and 1970NX have same electronics and matrix, only the housing is different. Is this correct?

If this is true, this monitor should be veeery good. I'm buying second monitor and now I have 1880SX which is superb. So is this 1970NX better tahn 1880SX?

• The electronics are not exactly the same. E.g. the 1970NX has DV mode which the 1960NXi does not have, and the 1970NX has 250 cd/m2 vs. 225 for the 1960NXi. Build quality of the 1960NXi is better. The panel in the 1970NX is probably a more recent revision. More 1970NX owners complain about uneven backlighting. According to the TCO database (click here, select NEC for brandname (not manufacturer!) and click search), the 1960NXi is manufactured in a NEC factory while the 1970NX is manufactured by NPG Display.

The real successor for the 1880SX is the 2180UX. The 1980SXi, 1980FXi and 2080UX+ come close. The 1970NX is less good than the 1880SX.