Posts by nickynick

TFTshop.net :

Ich bin einverstanden, dass im unteren Bereich nicht viel Margen bleiben. Aber was mit den grosseren Panels der Spitzenklasse? Z.B. ein 19 zoll Topgeraet wie NEC 1980SXi ist schon fuer 600 EUR zu haben, aber ein 21 zoll Topgeraet wie NEC 2180UX kostet fast doppelt soviel. Ist in diese Klasse nicht eine Preissenkung zu erwarten, z.B. nach 900-1000 EUR fuer ein 2180UX? Jedenfalls sind bei Eizo schon viele Preise gesenkt.

The electronics are not exactly the same. E.g. the 1970NX has DV mode which the 1960NXi does not have, and the 1970NX has 250 cd/m2 vs. 225 for the 1960NXi. Build quality of the 1960NXi is better. The panel in the 1970NX is probably a more recent revision. More 1970NX owners complain about uneven backlighting. According to the TCO database (click here, select NEC for brandname (not manufacturer!) and click search), the 1960NXi is manufactured in a NEC factory while the 1970NX is manufactured by NPG Display.

The real successor for the 1880SX is the 2180UX. The 1980SXi, 1980FXi and 2080UX+ come close. The 1970NX is less good than the 1880SX.

When scrolling in a web page you will see severe smearing on the L768 and virtually no smearing on the L797 and CG19. That's because the L768 has a PVA panel while the other two have an IPS panel.

I agree with previous posts that the L797 and certainly the CG19 are the best choice for photo editing if you want to stay with Eizo. I've seen the L768 and although its contrast is very good, I disliked the smearing effect the color shifts appearing even at not too large viewing angles.

You may also want to look at NEC; the price of a NEC 2180UX (21" with 1600x1200 resolution) is somewhere in between the price of a L797 and a CG19, and its panel is of the same quality as the panel in the L797 and CG19. If you want to stay with a 19" and you are not editing photos for a living, I'd take the L797.

Have you tried changing the contrast and/or gamma setting? At least on my NEC 1960NXI I have to turn contrast down just a notch to make the lowest blacks (and the highest whites) distinguishable.

See also this link for a nice test of the lowest blacks on your monitor.

Indeed, it must be a Fujitsu panel then.

The information about the resolution is still confusing. They say 1600x1200 over DVI but only 1280x1024 over analag connection. My guess is the panel is really 1280x1024, and if you offer it a 1600x1200 signal it downscales this to 1280x1024. Or could it really be a 1600x1200 19" panel?

I assume you mean the NEC 2080UX+? Many people complain about text being too small on a 20" with 1600x1200 resolution, however for photography work the added resolution is certainly a plus (fine pitch of 100dpi, more "real estate" to work on in Photoshop, etc). I'm afraid the only way to judge if text is not too small is to see for yourself...

BTW, the 2080UX+ does not have 10 bit gamma correction.

Cheapest 19" with gamma correction is probably the Eizo L768 but it has a PVA instead of IPS panel. Second cheapest would be NEC 1980SXI or the newer NEC 1980FXI (no tests of this monitor available yet), which are both priced the same.

The Lacie and the Iiyama have the same panel but most probably have slightly different electronics. That may partially explain the difference you saw. But the difference should not be too large. Most probably, both monitors were set differently (different contrast/color/brightness setting) in the shop - makes it hard to judge. Anyway, the Lacie is certainly a good choice, Sleepy is very happy with this monitor and it was the editors choice in the Belgian edition of PC Magazine.

CG19 = 1400 euro
    NEC 1980 Spectraview = 1249 euro
    NEC 1980SXI + basICColor = 751 + 120 = 871 euro
    NEC 2180UX (also 21") + basICColor = 1169 + 120 = 1289 euro

Ich weiss was ich kaufen wuerde... ;)

B.Z.
    Danke fuer die Information bz. Spectraview LCD 21

a) The Iiyama is really the cheapest one. If you want a 19" IPS without speakers, you might look at the NEC 1970NXI but many people on these forums have reported uneven backlighting on this monitor - although I am sure that in many cases people just expect too much; in a completely dark room a completely black screen tft will always reveal some uneveness; especially for photo editing you should have some lighting in the room. In any case, to be on the safe side you should make sure you can return the monitor if the backlighting is not satisfactory for you (slightly uneven backlighting is considered normal and does not fall under warranty). It's price is about 450 euro. LG and Philips make monitors with the same IPS panel inside but I have no idea how good they are. Another good option is the Lacie Photon19IIVision, however its price varies greatly from country to country (in some countries you have it for 400 euro, in other countries it's at 600 euro).

b) Yes, those are older models.

c) PVA/MVA have a slightly smaller color gamut than S-IPS. Their color fidelty is very good when you look at the display straight on, however they have more color and gamma shift with varying viewing angles (so at the same viewing angle, an S-IPS has less color/gamma shift than a PVA/MVA). If your work is not extremely color critical, you may find this acceptable. Again, make sure you return the display if you find the color shift too strong (or try before you buy).

d) I don't have first-hand experience with the different devices, however most reviews report that the i1 is better than the spyder.

Der NEC 2180UX (also nicht Spectraview) ist hardware-kalibrierbar (wie der Eizo CG21) mit basICColor 3, sehe diesen Link

Tip: Der heutige NEC Spectraview 2180UX ist ein "hand-selected" NEC 2180UX mit Spectraview Profiler, und Spectraview Profiler ist eine OEM Version von basICColor 3. Vergleich mal den Preis von Spectraview 2180 gegen 2180UX+basICColor!!!

Der zukunftige Spectraview 2180UX wird, wie gesagt, LED backlights haben (aber wird auch viel teuer sein).

Vergleich zwischen CG21, Spectraview 2180 und Quato, sehe: diesen Link