LCD options & questions for Photo work

• Hello,

I have a few questions about LCD's and this seems like the place to ask them. I'm looking to buy a 19" for use with Photoshop. I don't care about games just colour. I'm not a professional photographer so don't want to spend more than I have to. I'm living in London and prices are high. My budget is £600.

Here are the LCDs I'm looking at with the price on the right. The prices were found on UK sites like dabs.com/uk and bechtle.co.uk. If you know cheaper places please share.

-----------
    NEC MultiSync 1980SX - 550
    NEC MultiSync 1980SXi - 570

EIZO L788 - 640
    EIZO L768 - 590
    EIZO L767 - 520

ViewSonic VP191b - 400

Formac Gallery 1900 - 455
    Formac G. 1900 Raven - 465
    Formac G. 1900 Platunum- 500

Lacie Photon 19 - 435
    -----------

From what I understand the difference between the 1980SX and 1980SXi is that the 1980SXi is the IPS Panel version. From reading various posts the IPS panels are better for Photoshop work due to less colour shifting. Is this correct? Are there other reasons?

I think all the Eizo's are IPS panels. Does anyone know the difference between the L788 and L768? The L768 and L788 have better contrast ratios than the L767 (1000:1 vs 500:1). Is this the only difference and does it make enough difference to choose it over the other models. I've noted that the ColorEdge models have pretty low contrast ratios (450:1) and they are considered the best.

I've heard mixed reviews about the VP191b. Anyone have any experience? I think it is an IPS panel but not sure.

The Formacs are supposed to be good, but haven't seen that many testimonials. I did hear a negative that the stand is poorly designed. Don't know the difference between models. Anyone have any input?

Seen mixed reviews on the Lacie, which I think is manufactured by NEC/Mitsubishi and I think uses MVA or SVA panel. Anyone?

Thanks for any input you can offer,
    Patrick

• You should look for a TFT with a MVA or MPA Panel.
    These Panels are the best choice for Designer and guarantee the best Contrast, Brightness, Colors and Coloradjustment.

You should look for these three models.

Eizo L768
    Eizo L788
    NEC 1980sx

They seem to be available on the british market.

• A question: why do the moderators on these forums always recommend *VA for graphics? If *VA is the best for colors / color adjustment (as required for graphics / photos), then why is it that both Eizo and Nec use S-IPS in their top-of-the-line monitors for graphical work? I mean the Eizo CG19 and the Nec Spectraview 1980.

I believe *VA has strong, saturated colors, but when it comes to color *accuracy*, S-IPS is probably better.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong?

• It depends.

Normally the colours and the viewangle are better on VA. IPS is faster and the black is not that dark.

I prefer for graphic workers VA panels. Some others IPS panels. You do well with both, of course. But the VA panels are a bit in front cause they have mostly a better electronic with better adjustments.

• Thanks for the replies.

I guess what would be best is if I could test a monitor with IPS and one with *VA to see which I prefer. Unfortunately I don't know of any shops in London that would have both and not only have both but both set up and profiled for accurate testing... now that would be luxury.

Here is something interesting the new NEC Spectraview has the exact same panel as the 1980SXi (which is IPS), with the only difference being the Spectraview has profiling software. So if you have a monitor calibrator/profiler or plan on getting one get the 1980XSi. Oh the Spectraview also comes with a sexy hood. 8)

Cheers,
    Patrick

Original von nickynick
    I believe *VA has strong, saturated colors, but when it comes to color *accuracy*, S-IPS is probably better.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong?

You are totally right. Colour quality contains of some different aspects, whioch has to be considered.
    If the colour "shining" is the most important one, VA panels are the best choice. The offer the highest contrast ratios, which are responsible for luminous colours. For most users colour quality is evaluated at first at this aspect, because it is very fast to see.

Photographers and especially everyboy in DTP and other colour reproduction jobs needs screens with high colour accuracy. That meens, that green is really green, red is really red and blue is really blue. At this job IPS panels are superior to VA panels.
    Furthermore: IPS panels shows are bigger colour space/range of colours. Only the best (and most expensive) TFT models like the EIZO CG-series offers colour spaces which are compareable to CRTs. Consumer TFTs only provide a limited colour space, but for general applications this is no big restriction.