Dell 1905 FP

• Hi Peter, (I post this in the forum as you advise me ;) )

Thank you for your answer. To be honest you let me a bit worry about the Dell 1905FP now, specially about the colors. I am not worry to much about the 20 ms because I am used to play with my 45ms LG 575 (I have it for 3 years). I though the Dell was a good one after reading the review at

My normal use for my pc is: work, the internet and MS Office, and shooting games like HL2 and ET. I also watch some films sometimes (prefer my tv for that).

My original idea was to buy a good 17" (Samsung 710T or Sharp 172) but because I have a £300 budget (about 420 €; £1=1.4€) I though I could buy a decent 19".

Others options I have within my budget:

LG 1915 or 1930S (analog)
    Neovo F-419 (good reviews in PcPro)
    Iyama E485S
    Viewsonic VG910
    Samsung SM192V or SM910
    Benq FP931 analog

Shops links:

Thanks a lot for your help and advise (it's so difficult to find reviews and expert advise on the internet!!!)

Luis

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 09 January 2005 23:02
    To: Come to UK
    Subject: Re: hello Tomatec

Hi Luis,

thank you for your request. Why didn´t you ask me in the forum? We are happy about every english user!

Here you find a link with the details about the devices:

Both have a VA panel which means, that they are not that well for games.
    If you play HL2 or other shooters, please give the TFT back. The 1905 has the new PVA Panel with 20ms. This panels has one problem: it jumps from 16bit to 8bit and so from 16,7mio colours to 16,2mio as soon as fast response is necessary like in videos or games. In the 1901 we had the MVA panel with 25ms which was really good. Nice colours and really fast enough for a lot of games.

Please tell me your exact profile with percentage allocation and a link to your favourite shop. So I will make an advice then.

Bye
    dP

Come to UK wrote:

> Hi Tomatec,
    >
    > I have read some posts of the forum and I am impressed for
    > your knowledge about tft and your dedication to advise people.
    >
    > I write you because I spent 1 week on the internet reading reviews
    > about 19 TFT and finally I bought (1 hour ago) a dell 1905FP for 450
    > € in England (it was in sale).
    >
    > I know there are better 19 TFT in the market but I didn’t want to
    > spent more money so I wonder what do you thing about the monitor. I
    > read in pcworld and some forums that the colors are not as good as the
    > successful dell 1901FP.
    >
    > By the way I have a LG 15 575 M/M TFT (and ATI9700) for 3 years and my
    > computer use is mainly internet, videos (no many now) and games. I
    > will have a dual monitor configuration.
    >
    > Your comments would be very welcome as I will have 1 week to decide to
    > keep the monitor or send it back.
    >
    >
    > Thanks & regards,

Athlon XP2500-M @3700
    Soltek SL-75FRN2 Dual Channel
    2x256 DDR400 TwinMOS
    Samsung SP1614N 160 GB 8 MB Cache
    ATI 9700
    NEC 3500A DVDRW
    LG LCD 575MM

• Hi ;)

Thanks for your post!

I would advise first an IPS or TN panel for your use!

What do I have to do that you buy the 481 from iiyama? It cotsts 349 bugs on komplett.uk. This is in my opinion the best you can get when we look on price and quality for your profile!
    A cheaper device would be the Acer 1912 (savastore, 287). It has a TN Panel, very good for games, but only a D-Sub.

I see you can play well on your old device. You don´t have problems with ghostingeffects?! I can play on a MVA panel as well as on an IPS device - like the 481 - without having problems with those ghosting. Maybe you are the same. So we could take a look on the Hansol H960, Neovo, Iiyama 485.

Say it´s up to you: is the best alternative, 481, too expensive?

• To be honest I don't want to spent more than £300 (I was thinking initially to spend about £230 on a 17").

About my old LG 575 when I am playing I don't notice too much ghosting because I am concentrate in the game-play but I am sure with only 45ms there is a lot ghosting around :rolleyes: but after 3 years I got used to it and I don't see it easily!!!

I have seen in some forums that some people are very happy with the 1905 fp and others not at all so i am a bit confuse. I do not understand why pcworld strongly recommends this monitor if apparently is not that good (I suspect they are pro-Dell).

Thanks Peter And I hope someone in this forum has the Dell and can give us some feedback about it.

Athlon XP2500-M @3700
    2x256 DDR400 TwinMOS
    ATI 9700
    NEC 3500A DVDRW
    LG LCD 575MM

• The opinions about the 1910 are really confusing. But there are more negativ opions around.

I see. You are like me: hoping not get killed and you forget about those ghostingeffects ;)

Maybe I´m blind, but where did you find the 485 that cheap? We should concentrate on one of those TFTs I mentioned if you decide to replace your dell.

Let me ask. What is your personal about the 1910? Are you happy with it?

• In komplett (its a german company i think) the Iyama 485S price is £269.

I have read more opinions in forums about the Dell 1905 FP and might be better than you think. Some people say it got the same panel than the
    Samsung 193P. And nearly everybody complain about the excessive brightness of the monitor 8o.

Athlon XP2500-M @3700
    2x256 DDR400 TwinMOS
    ATI 9700
    NEC 3500A DVDRW
    LG LCD 575MM

• It has really the same panel as the Samsung, of course, Samsung produces for Dell. The Samsung panels are kind of shitty. Sometimes they turn white areas into yellow, think that black must be gray (next day it is black again) and more.

Are you saticified with the Dell? Keep it, my opinion is to send it back.

• Another good review about the dell at zdnet:

Athlon XP2500-M @3700
    2x256 DDR400 TwinMOS
    ATI 9700
    NEC 3500A DVDRW
    LG LCD 575MM

• For my point of view most statements in the review are near to the reality. There are quite lots of TFTs worse the Samsung. If Samsung inside this Dell, I don't think you make something wrong - except, if you are a hardcore gamer..

• I got the dell and i love the look and the ergonomics; amazing for working.

But I dislike the colors; they are washed out and I couldn't tune it to get better picture so I am thinking to return it. There is also some ghosting even with the mouse pointer ?(

The good news is that I found a website selling the Iyama 481 for the same price that the Dell (they drop the price by 15% this week =) ) so I am considering to buy it.

As long as I know the 481 is very good in everything including games but it doesn't look very pretty (thinking in the silver option).

Thanks for your recommendations,

L

Athlon XP2500-M @3700
    2x256 DDR400 TwinMOS
    ATI 9700
    NEC 3500A DVDRW
    LG LCD 575MM