19" Eye strain optimized -- Editing Internet Video NoGames

• So i have beeing looking for a tft for some time now, and yet can't really make up my mind on a definite model. Too many questions still remain. I must admit your site has been a real plus in my researchs ( how happy i was to find your english section :) )

I come from a CRT 17" Viewsonic PF775 Professional Series, quite a good monitor. I don't know how it compares to the best diamondtron though. I used it at 85Hz, i couldnt get a better refresh rate under linux. I never used a TFT.

Lately i found i was more and more easyly the prey of eye strains, in front of my crt for long hours, so i decided i had to get a lcd.

The absolute priority for me is to get the lcd which will be the best for my eyes, all else is second to that. In most of the tests i read on the net the stress was put on the video or game side of things but the quality of written texte was not really adressed.

Mostly i will do editing, reading, internet, and watching videos. I don't care for the games.

I wont pay the price of the latest eizo, but i'm ready to pay what is necessary to get a very good display quality. If there's a medium priced model quite sufficient for my purpose, then no need to pay too much either. In fact that's my main problem i dont know at which point the quality of the lcd would be such that paying more wouldn't be any more profitable to the eye comfort.

It's probable that most of the lcds today would already be a real improvement over a crt, but since it's the moment of choice, i want to push my advantage even farther.

I believe a DVI connection is a must have in my case.

Ergonomics are not very important. If i can find the right panel quality without ergonomics, it will be sufficient. The OSD must not be dependant of the OS though, as is the case with the Samsung 193P, so that i can use it under linux.

At first i was going for a 17" lcd, and then i realised that with a 19" the caracters would be easier to read, since they are about 12% bigger than on a 17".
    I read someone saying that the pixelisation was annoying, and of course the definition, and proportions are not so good. But i'm not a graphist, as long as it's best for the eye comfort, i dont care ( my new credo ).
    Also there's not too much 17" with VA/IPS panels, which i believe are best for what i need.
    And maybe due to price, the fabrication could be "cheap", resulting in bad homogeneity of luminosity...

So yes, i pretty much opted out the TN panels :
    -small viewing angles
    -dithering, not great for videos.

There's only one good thing that i can think of with the TN panels : speed. The ghosting found on the VA/IPS panels must have an impact on the eye comfort, especialy when dooing a lot of scrolling. I just don't know how hard this ghosting can be on the eyes.

I guess this ghosting could have a impact in the choice between an mVA/pVA or IPS panel, as it seems the IPS panels are faster ?

It would be a real plus if i could set the luminosity level to an acceptable level for the eyes, without losing too much color quality. I hear lcds are really too bright in general.

And yes, you guessed it, no screendoor or crystal effect ;)

Now i must sound like a real funk*** ass**le of a perfectionist :)
    But i think when you can spend 14 hours in front of a monitor, that that's an accumulation of small things that makes a difference.

Is there any more things i could take into account to improve even more the comfort ?

So what do you think ? Any lcd up to it ? :)

Thanks in advance for the help.

• This is from the tft-faq :

But it is used also to change around the brightness of the lamps and this happens as follows: The brightness is changed by a so-called pulse width modulation, i.e. the lamps are switched on and off fast, whereby the relationship from switch-on time to fall time varies. The longer the a time in relation to the time-out is, the more brightly becomes it.

Can't this system of luminosity be a little painfull on the eyes ?

• Hi,

sorry for my short answer, I´m a bit in stress.

Can you tell us a link to a shop you want to order at? And please tell me your budget.

We will find a cute, nice 19" VA device for you ;)

Your addition question: no! It will be a difference after you get your first TFT, but you will get used to it!

• I think the most comprehensive online store is this one : www.ldlc.com.
    A little less choice but good support : www.materiel.net

As i said the budget is not really a limitation, i just want to get the right one for my purpose, which is to get the lcd which will provide the best image for the comfort and health of my eyes. Meaning it doesn't have necessarily to have superb color rendition ( like some eizo i suppose ).

sorry for my short answer, I'm a bit in stress.

I'm very pleased you took the little time you had to post a little something. Thank you very much.

• No problem.

Please take a look on the 101920 by belinea. I have it on my own and it´s really perfect for you!

2nd choice but more expensive: NEC 1980sx or Viewsonic 191.

They have all a very good quality.

Price/ Quality best: Belinea
    Quality best: 1980sx or the 191.

I looked under the first link!

Please don´t be afraid to ask more. I will gut hurry up my work and answer you ASAP.

• I suppose the nec or viewsonic are of greater quality in general but not necessarily an improvement for what i want ?
    And since the belinea is also of very good quality and luckily in your hands, i will look more closely on this one first.

Right now the first thing that's intriguing me is the fact that the new version ( NG = New Generation in France ) of it has come around November last year. and i find strange that we can still find the old version on www.ldlc.com, especially since it's their most sold 19" tft since some time now. One could think they should be out of stock since long ago... But they still give the specs of the old one... I got to make sure it's really the old one. What do you think, is it possible they still have stocks of the old model ?
    I must confess that i would prefer to have exactly the same model as yours, since you think it would be perfect for me. I'm a little paranoid and think maybe the settings on the new one could not be as good ( maybe taking advantage of the fame of the old model ). Have you seen the new model personnaly ?
    And does it make some sound or is it complety silent ?

Thanks very much.

• Yep I saw the new one and I think that the old one is better. The colours seems to be more homgenous. But: you see difference only when you have both next to another.

Sounds: the only sound - like nearly every TFT does - is when he is getting warm and the plastique moves a bit. But the sound comes only 3 or 4 times and then he is quitted.

The belinea is a really good choice for you!

• Yes Totamec i think i will take your advice :)
    And my quest will be finally over *relief*

I like that you think it would be perfect for me ;)
    In fact i had already considered this display since it seems it 's the most sold one here in France. There were raving reviews on it on the forums. And then since the new one has been out, we don't have many new opinions, and i was a little suspicious of the new panel and settings they could have done.
    That you could have seen it is a good thing.

I sent ldlc.com two emails, and posted a message in a well know forum for advice.
    No answers for the moment, but I found someone in December 13th, that says the image on ldlc.com doesnt correspond to the product he's recieved, says the display he recieved hasn't got round corners like the old one. So i guess they don't sell the old one.

That means i can buy it in another store if i choose to.

Silent one! Nice ;)

I 'll keep you informed. Thanks again.

• I can only support Totamecs advice. For your use cases the Belinea should be a good choice. Hopefully you find the model you like.

Also the new one is good and the difference are rather low. I guess you will not be disapointed. ;)

• Thanks Weideblitz, it's great to hear.

I 'm making other choices regarding hardware to buy at the same time at the online store. I wont be long before i get the belenea ;)

I won't forget to post a little something regarding my first impressions ;)

I'll keep you all informed. Good night.

• Hi all.

Some news about my quest for a lcd and belinea.

The belinea 10 19 20 is available on www.materiel.net since today. It is stated that it's the new one, although they don't give the "article 11 19 12" ref. ( if we can swear by it anyway ).
    Myne has been shipped today, so i wont be long before i receive it.

Now precisely since the 25/01/05 we can find a news on www.hardware.fr, that says that we shoudn't forget the belinea 10 19 20 which is a good lcd and excellent for the films. So exactly what we all thought, and good news that it could be put forth with this news.

But... the news also states that it's a mva panel! I emailed the author of the news today and he told me that it's a guy responsible for the line of products at belinea france that told him so.

I just read the news yesterday and it rang immediatly a bell since i had seen on the french belinea site that the panel was a pva ( pdf document ). but when i tried to get the page the site was unavailable... i then turned to the uk one, and saw the pva spec for the "article 11 19 12" ref.

Today i try the french site again and it works, and what a surprise it has the spec for the old model! In fact after checking it seems that it's the only one in europe to display the old model specs! And it's even more surprising since i previously saw the new model's spec on this site.

All of this at the same time that http://www.materiel.net has new stocks of the model and at the same time of the news on a very popular french web site.
    Very very strange, and not precisely reassuring. Has Belinea, in France, changed it's policy of transparency ? Or is it just an error from the guy from belinea who gave the information ( but then why the change on the french site with the old spec, and the pva panel spec not given any more ? ) ?

What do you think ?