Prad.de has been tested by the NEC 3090WQXi. Verdict: Failed!

• The latest review of the NEC 3090WQXi appeared not free of omissions and subjectivity.
    It seems to me that the reviewer was not prepared to test such a complex machine.
    This is an outstanding monitor with a long pre-history, with unique features, with a great potential, with high expectations surrounding it. This is not a regular monitor 1-2-3-chicki-picki-test-is-ready.
    Starting a test without taking all those details into consideration means to fail the review.

See the summary.
    An illustration for the item #4 of the summary (1.85:1 blu-ray movie and NFS video game on 90-series NEC).

But the major single issue is that prad.de does not provide any information to support their statement: “Unfortunately, proper hardware calibration is not possible with the European model”.
    Stating that prad.de accepts huge responsibility.
    We already have a confirmation from another review (ixbt.com) that tested “European” NEC 3090WQXi hardware calibration with SpectraViewII calibration software: it works.

A question to prad.de:
    Have you actually tried SpectraViewII with the NEC 3090WQXi and actually found this monitor cannot be hardware calibrated?
    Thank you.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von albovin ()

• I had to think long before deciding to answer, because I'm a friend of what we call "culture of discussion" in Germany... - but there we go:

Zitat

But the major single issue is that prad.de does not provide any information to support their statement: “Unfortunately, proper hardware calibration is not possible with the European model”.

We were able to speak with NEC Germany (not the sales department but the technical department - there were even callbacks to NEC Japan). We were informed that the possibility of hardware calibration is avoided via firmware and that there are plans to place a NEC SpectraView version of the 30" on the european market. That's the 1st hand information that we just passed on. There is no reason to think that the person in charge gave us an incorrect information. If there are european models which allow hardware-calibration (besides the limited self-calibration) that is in contrast to the information NEC gave us. But we won't get ourselves into hot water and propagate "half-baked" information. I'm sure you will agree on this because you mentioned our absolutely existent responsibility.

I won't comment on your NEC crusade but one word to the 24p input (your table is nice but the jpg format avoids that I can comment it easily). Regarding videoprocessing you can be sure to be confronted to a person who knows what he is writing. Of course I tested realworld material. No difference in judder comparing to the synthetical pattern. When letting the iScan VP50Pro accomplish a framerateconversion and accordingly driving the NEC @60Hz the judder gets lesser. This situation gets worse when comparing 50Hz input (2:2 and video). If you want to see a display that is doing it the right way (rare to find in the computer display segment) - just wait for the next review of an Acer 22" display.

If you think that I would be in the need of discrediting the NEC because I'm personally using the Eizo counterpart you are entirely wrong (if the Eizo wouldn't fit my needs - well I would just buy an other display). Both are good displays with individual strengths and weaknesses.

Best regards

Denis

• Thank you for the answer.

Zitat

I'm a friend of what we call "culture of discussion" in Germany... you should work on this

Sure I will work on that.
    Let's work on the review.

Zitat

We were able to speak with NEC Germany (not the sales department but the technical department - there were even call backs to NEC Japan).

This is what I am talking about. We, regular users, don't speak with NEC's engineers. Why not get their comments on unusual brightness regulation?

Zitat

We were informed that the possibility of hardware calibration is avoided via firmware and that there are plans to place a NEC SpectraView version of the 30" on the european market. That's the 1st hand information that we just passed on.

Therefore you confirm that prad.de had the NEC 3090WQXi in their laboratory and did not perform an elementary action - test HW calibration support?
    I don't understand that.
    You have 3090 in front of you for testing and don't test it. Instead of that you retell "the 1st hand information"...
    Dear Denis, you are the 1st hand source of information in this case. That's why we wait for professional reviews. That's why we read them.

Zitat

in questions regarding video processing you can be sure to be confronted to a person who knows what he is writing.

No doubts. I've read your other article. Impressive, no doubts.
    I'am not going to split hairs about 24p.

My remark concerns blu-ray playback being not covered in this review, while 3090 has a bunch of HD specifics: excessive resolution, unique scaling, total Hz support, hardware calibration.

This is ixbt.com review.

It demonstrates HW calibration.

What shall we do?
    What if beharware.com test 3090 tomorrow with SV-II?

Thank you.

• Zitat

My remark concerns blu-ray playback being not covered in this review, while 3090 has a bunch of HD specifics: excessive resolution, unique scaling, total Hz support, hardware calibration.

The scaling was good, but far away from what is possible when you make use of "extensive scaling" (u.a. with multiple oversampling). Of course we must keep in mind that the NEC (and also the Eizo that implements a comparable scaling) are no LCD-TVs or expensive videoprocessors. "But the 'good' gets it quite good".

Zitat

total Hz support

Of course it has support for a number of Refresh-rates. But only 60Hz is displayed without judder. So you have no advantage in motion quality when using 24Hz for Blu-ray/HD-DVD/NTSC-Broadcasts and NTSC-DVD with Film-Content. If you can arrange a better framerateconversion it is reasonable to use 60Hz as output - especially for -I've said it already- 50Hz sources as the frc of the NEC is not ideal. I don't blame it for that but "true" 24/50Hz support would be nice to have. And the cheap Acer in the upcoming review shows that it is possible in the PC display area.

Zitat

nstead of that you retell "the 1st hand information"...

This was not only one conversation but multiple. I expressed my sorrow about the difference in marketing strategy für US an Europe.

Zitat

What shall we do?

Breathe deeply :-)

Best regards

Denis

• Excuse me.
    But you don't answer my question.

We are not talking "about the difference in marketing strategy für US an Europe".

We are talking about the review.

I repeat my question: why didn't you test HW calibration?

Thank you.

• Zitat

Excuse me.

No problem.

Zitat

We are not talking "about the difference in marketing strategy für US an Europe"

Yes.

Zitat

We are talking about the review.

Yes.

Zitat

I repeat my question: why didn't you test HW calibration?

Officially registered - But you can find the answer in my first post. I think the walk to Canossa can wait, can't it?

Yours sincerely

Denis

• Zitat

I think the walk to Canossa can wait, can't it?

Don't you see you are making your way already?
    Of course, if your Canossa is readers' trust.

If your Canossa is something different (I don't want to specify) - your crown is safe.

So my last question is: your statement in the conclusion of the review: "Unfortunately, proper hardware calibration is not possible with the European model" - is it true?
    Please say Yes or No.

If you are still not able to answer, please receive our gratitude for being an excellent review magazine of the past.

Thank you and best wishes.