TFT and eye comfort

• Hello.

I want to buy a TFT display, since my old 21" medion CRT is hard on the eyes for extended viewing.

Im going to use it for internet viewing, text writing (word), online poker, movie viewing and a little gaming. The games also includes FPS, but i don´t demand optimal quality of the gaming expericence if it in any means would comprimise the eye comfort.

So. I´m hoping you can help me point out what i should look for, when choosing the optimal display for eye comfort!!

- I am currently most hooked for a 19" with a resolution 1240*1024. Does size and resolution affect eye comfort?

- What about the panels? - Are there any diffenrence between the different types of panels concerning eye comfort?

- I have noticed that some displayes have different coatings? - are that important?

- What color are the best for the display. Some says that black is bad for eye comfort? - correct?

- And anything else that i haven´t thought off.... (which properbly is a lot)

-----

Could you furthermore recommend any specific display for this purpose. Price range are very flexible....

Thx in advance

/Torben
    Denmark.

• Hi Torben,

if eye comfort is your top priority, then in case you have physiological problems, you might want to consult an ophthalmologist to make sure of your particular needs.

- I am currently most hooked for a 19" with a resolution 1240*1024. Does size and resolution affect eye comfort?

As 19" @ 1240*1024 have the largest pixels as compared with 17" or 20", it's probably a good choice to go for. Smaller pixels make for smaller details, and not all application user interfaces allow for font scaling.

- What about the panels? - Are there any diffenrence between the different types of panels concerning eye comfort?

Afaik, the panel shouldn't make too much of a difference as far as eye comfort is concerned. Mind, though, that some monitor models don't allow to dim brightness sufficiently.

- I have noticed that some displayes have different coatings? - are that important?

Glare or X-black panels show a mirror-like reflexion of your adjacency, as compared with diffuse reflexion of "normal" panels. This may or may not distract you from the actual screen content.

- What color are the best for the display. Some says that black is bad for eye comfort? - correct?

TCO says medium colored bezels (grey, silver, beige) are to be preferred over black (or white) bezels. This is said to be due to lower contrast between screen content and bezel. I have not found a black bezel to be a problem so far, but other users have.

- And anything else that i haven´t thought off.... (which properbly is a lot)

You might want to look for a cabinet that allows to be adjusted to your needs, that is, height and tilt mainly. Or use a monitor arm...

Have fun, Zaphod

• Hey Torben,

I'm also an ergonomics fanatic. Although I have been looking for quite a long while for the best ergonomy eye-wise for me I haven not come to any big conclusion. Problem with all this is that not many care about these things. Manufacturers nor consumers really care that much about optimal ergonomics. Its more of a side-factor to all other properties of a monitor.

And I agree with Zaphod.b on all accounts but one. I believe that the type and quality of the panel do matter. Some panels seems to cause more eye-focusing problems than CRT screens even. I dont know why and I dont know the name of the effect but it just seems hard to focus on text and etc. Also I have this problem that I have only worked with rather old and low quality TN TFTs .. so I really dont know how much better a VA or IPS are in terms of eye-ergonomics. I did read some reviews where the reviewers had subjective opinions that IPS panels had sharper text than others, but just slightly so. However the VA's contrast ratio helps distinction in all kind of lighting settings. One thing I do know I have problems is too low viewing angles and too much colorshift on viewing angles. And also if the response time is very low it gets hard on the brain to do alot of scrolling.. especially if the fade effect of the low response time isnt uniform.

Ah well. I guess I didnt help much. Just venting my opinions for you to judge from. Some says that TFT are a big step up from CRT no matter what kind of TFT you get. I am not that sure. You need a fairly good TFT to beat a very good CRT. If you currently have a weak CRT maybe any TFT would do better for you.

• Yomat,

I believe that the type and quality of the panel do matter. Some panels seems to cause more eye-focusing problems than CRT screens even. I dont know why and I dont know the name of the effect but it just seems hard to focus on text and etc.

I'm not an expert, so I might have missed a point or another ;)

Your post focused me on a point that I did miss:
    I found considerable differences of image quality when connecting the panel via VGA, rather than DVI. This was mainly noticeable in gray- and colorscales. However, it is feasible that cable (electromagnetic) reflexions may lead to "shadows" that make the picture and esp. fonts appear blurred. So my advice is, go for a DVI.

However the VA's contrast ratio helps distinction in all kind of lighting settings.

Mind that contrast ratio is an artificial number, giving the ratio of max and min brightness under lab conditions. As min brightness goes only so far, high contrast ratios may be achieved by increasing max brightness. However, max brightness is likely to stress the eyes, rather than comfort them. Plus, max contrast settings almost always will tend to make color values at the end of the grayscale indistinguishable. Thats why I made a point of dimability in the first place.

You are correct in saying that too low brightness or contrast is stressing the eyes, too. However, I don't expect this to be an issue with any modern TFT monitor.

Ah well. I guess I didnt help much.

So do I. ;( As everyone, Torben will have to get a picture himself...

Greets